Friday, October 23, 2015

HomeMade Halloween: Colonial Man Costume

My husband and I went to a Halloween dinner this past weekend where we had to follow the theme of pirates and colonial/commodore costumes.
So, I went off on my hunt to make our costumes. My husband's was fun to create and might I add it came out hysterical! (It's all in the wig for me...I just couldn't stop laughing. Loved it! And the face is his "I'm in character mode" face!)

WHAT YOU NEED:
- Blazer (with small collar/lapel) // $11.99 @ Goodwill
-Navy Pants 
-white t-shirt 
-black dress shoes
-white, black and gold felt // .35 each @ Michael's 
-white thigh high socks // $3.74 @ Wal-Mart
- gold buttons // $1.74 @ Wal-Mart
- long (curly) wig // $2.99 @ Goodwill
-red ribbon
-white lace
-toy sword

Let's start with the jacket. I did some digging at the Goodwill and found this blazer in the men's section for $11.99.
I immediately flipped the collar up and knew I could work with this.
I picked up these buttons at Wal-Mart and sewed them the rest of the way up the jacket. I made sure they were evenly spaced using the existing buttons as my guide. Since the buttons I purchased were a slightly darker gold, I took some gold acrylic paint I already had and lightly painted over all of the buttons.

 For the "ruffle shirt", we created a little ruffle piece that we safety pinned to a white t-shirt.
I cut out a piece of white felt into a half oval shape. Then I took stripes of white lace and hot clued it on row by row.

In order to get the ruffle effect, I hot glued the edge on first. Then I folded the lace over every inch or so, glued where it folded over and repeated to the other edge. Once a row was done, I lifted the last row up and started a new row about half way up from the bottom of where that piece of lace would lay. I hope that makes sense!

My husband already had black dress shoes that we altered to look 'colonial style'.
I picked up some black and gold felt from the craft store to make the buckle. I free-handed the black piece but made sure it was wide enough to cover the shoe and high enough to stand up above the shoe. I cut out a gold buckle from the felt and glued it onto the black piece. 
These shoes had a strap across the top already, so I was able to glue a felt loop onto each side of the shoe strap and then glue the buckle onto the loops. This kept the buckles in place without messing up the shoes. 

I cut a strip of black felt, looped it through the pant buckle and stapled it.
This gave a way to carry the sword for the costume hands free.

For the wig, we pulled the hair back into a low pony tail. We had to trim it up a little because it was too long. I then took some red ribbon I had on hand and tied a bow around the ponytail.
For the white stockings, I purchased these white costume socks from Wal-Mart and removed the black bows. We tucked his navy slacks (that he already had) into the whites socks. We pulled the pants over top of the white socks a bit so that you couldn't see the pants tucked into the socks.


There you have it, your colonial man costume!
Are you still working on a costume for this year? Stay tuned, I'll have one other last minute idea for you tomorrow. 
Linking Up with:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...