Friday, October 16, 2015

{D.I.Y} Purple & Green Halloween Feather Wreath

You know, I've had the decorative pieces for this Halloween wreath for 2 years....TWO YEARS!
I'm super happy I finally completed this thing! I think the hold up was figuring out how to create a black feather wreath (which was what I imagined when I bought these green/purple decorations) that didn't cost an arm and a leg! So the final cost...under $13!! (not including the cost of spray paint)
Let's get to how I did it.



SUPPLIES NEEDED

-18in straw wreath  (purchased at Michael's using a 50% off coupon) $3.25
-black feather boas (purchased 2x 48in ones at Dollar Tree) $2
-black garland (optional, I couldn't find enough $1 boas to cover the wreath so I used this as filler.) $2
-black spray paint
-decorative Halloween pieces (these were decorative picks found at Michael's for 90% off) $4.20
-ribbon (these were decorative picks found at Michael's for 90% off) $.60
-glue gun
-straight pins

STEP ONE

Spray paint your straw wreath black.
Once dry, start wrapping the wreath with the feather boas and garland. (You can do all feathers if you are able to get enough to cover the wreath.) Hot glue the end to the back, wrap and then hot glue your end piece to the back.
I started with the garland and didn't wrap it too closely together. Some of the black straw is showing through. Then I layered on the feather boas, evenly spacing it out as I went.

STEP TWO

Now you can start adding your decorations. With these bigger pieces, I hot glued them in place and then secured them in place with straight pins. The straight pins I used had little black balls on the end.
I put one through the foot of the owl and one into both a green and purple leaf to keep them sitting how I wanted. 

STEP THREE
Now I added my 'ornament' pieces to the wreath. I snipped the wire off the back of the pumpkins and skulls with wire cutters. Then I took straight pins (with no colored ball on the end) and stuck them half way into the back of the pumpkins and skulls. To make sure the pins didn't move when being put into the wreath, I added some hot glue around the straight pin. (see picture below).
Insert your ornamental decorations into the wreath. 

Tip: I did not have regular straight pins to push into these styrofoam decorations. 
So I snipped the needle side of a large safety pin with wire cutters and used that as my straight pin. 

STEP FOUR
Ribbon time! I had some 'Happy Halloween' ribbon that I snipped a piece of and hot glued to the bottom as a little banner. 
Next, I took the green and purple glittery ribbon and cut a long piece of each to tie around the top of the wreath. This is the piece that your wreath will hang from as you can see in the picture below. 
I then cut another long piece of the green and purple ribbon and tied it into a bow. I hot glued the bow to the top middle of the wreath.
The garland that I used to wrap the wreath had those silver skulls that I removed, so as the final touch I glued one to the middle of the bow.

Now hang from a command hook on your front door and get in the Halloween spirit!
Yeah, we're seriously lacking outdoor Halloween decor.

Pretty darn cute, huh? I love sweetly spooky decor and this fits perfectly.
I hope you give making one of these a try! You can take the idea and tweak it depending on the decorative pieces you grab. And remember, you can even just pick up the pieces during the after Halloween sale and make it next year. Or two years from now! ;-)
Linking Up with:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...